Popular and delicious!
The most popular and widely grown winter squash, famous for its delicious deep orange flesh. It is also easy to peel and will keep for up to 5 months. Most butternuts available on the market now are sadly hybrid varieties and it is becoming increasingly difficult to source OP seed. Butternuts are very nutritious, containing high-quality protein and numerous vitamins and minerals.
Seed count: Approximately 10 seeds
Best planting: August – January
Ease of growth: Very easy
Heirloom: Typically a variety that is older than 60 years.
- Height/width of the plant: 150+ cm
- Growth type: This variety will sprawl and send out runners along the ground.
- Ideal germination temperature: 18°C
- Average germination in days: 7-10 days
- Sow method: This seed is best sown directly in the soil, as transplanting could reduce your yield.
- Plant type: Tender, Annual
- Plant use: This is a well-known cooking variety, suited for both home and professional chefs.
- Plant/row spacing: 100 cm
- Days to harvest: 95 days
- Seed treatment: These seeds will benefit from bottom heat, however, they will germinate without it. The additional heat stimulates germination, gives even germination and speeds up the process. No other special treatment required.