Vine Peach Melon
AKA Mango melon, this delicious peach-sized melon has a low sugar content with a slight mango flavour. The fruits have a yellow-coloured rind and a creamy-white inner flesh, with a lovely peachy-mango scent. Historically these melons were used to make delicious jams, preserves and pies and were not eaten raw. The plants are drought-tolerant and very hardy.
Seed count: Approximately 10 seeds
Best planting: August – January
Ease of growth: Very easy
Heirloom: Typically a variety that is older than 60 years.
- Height/width of the plant: 150+ cm
- Growth type: This variety can be trained up either a lattice/fence/pole or string.
- Ideal germination temperature: 16°C
- Average germination in days: 7-10 days
- Sow method: The seed is best suited to starting off in seed trays and then transplanted once they are past the two true leaf stage, however, it can be sown directly in the soil from the start.
- Plant type: Tender, Annual
- Plant use: This is a well-known cooking variety, suited for both home and professional chefs.
- Plant/row spacing: 45 cm/90 cm
- Days to harvest: 85 days
- Seed treatment: These seeds will benefit from bottom heat. The additional heat stimulates germination, gives even germination and speeds up the process. No other special treatment required.