Ocimum basilicum var. horapha
Liquorice and anise!
The most commonly used basil in Asian cooking. The unique anise/liquorice flavours and the scent of this basil hold up better than the more common Sweet basil when cooked. If you have eaten Thai food, you have probably tasted this basil.
Seed count: Approximately 100 seeds
Best planting: August – February
Ease of growth: Very easy
Heirloom: Typically a variety that is older than 60 years.
- Height/width of the plant: 24+ cm
- Growth type: This variety is suitable for planting in pots or in small gardens, as they do not take up a lot of space.
- Ideal germination temperature: 16°C
- Average germination in days: 5 days
- Sow method: The seed is best suited to starting off in seed trays and then transplanted once they are past the two true leaf stage.
- Plant type: Tender, Annual
- Plant use: This herb is used for culinary purposes and deters insects in the home and/or garden.
- Plant/row spacing: 20 cm/30 cm
- Days to harvest: 60 days
- Seed treatment: No special treatment.