An exciting release for us! These butternuts can grow to almost a meter in length! They store well, in fact, they get sweeter the longer they are stored. The long neck ensures that you have plenty of harvestable flesh and only a small seed cavity right at the base.
Seed count: Approximately 10 seeds
Best planting: August – January
Ease of growth: Very easy
Heirloom: Typically a variety that is older than 60 years.
- Height/width of the plant: 150+ cm
- Growth type: This variety will sprawl and send out runners along the ground.
- Ideal germination temperature: 18°C
- Average germination in days: 7-10 days
- Sow method: This seed is best sown directly in the soil, as transplanting could reduce your yield.
- Plant type: Tender, Annual
- Plant use: This is a well-known cooking variety, suited for both home and professional chefs.
- Plant/row spacing: 80 cm
- Days to harvest: 95 days
- Seed treatment: These seeds will benefit from bottom heat, however, they will germinate without it. The additional heat stimulates germination, gives an even germination and speeds up the process. No other special treatment required.