One of our most requested varieties. This squash is best cooked ‘in the shell’ and then scooped out onto a plate, using a fork to separate the flesh into fine spaghetti-like strands. This is a great, fun way to get fussy kids to eat their veggies. Add a dollop of butter and some salt and you have a great low carb alternative to spaghetti.
Seed count: Approximately 10 seeds
Best planting: August – January
Ease of growth: Very easy
Heirloom: Typically a variety that is older than 60 years.
- Height/width of the plant: 150+ cm
- Growth type: This variety will sprawl and send out runners along the ground.
- Ideal germination temperature: 18°C
- Average germination in days: 7-10 days
- Sow method: This seed is best sown directly in the soil, as transplanting could reduce your yield.
- Plant type: Tender, Annual
- Plant use: This is a well-known cooking variety, suited for both home and professional chefs.
- Plant/row spacing: 100 cm
- Days to harvest: 95 days
- Seed treatment: These seeds will benefit from bottom heat, however, they will germinate without it. The additional heat stimulates germination, gives an even germination and speeds up the process. No other special treatment required.