Brassica oleracea botrytis
One of the oldest classic cauliflower varieties that still today, remain one of the best and most widely adapted cauliflowers. A market-leader for many years until new hybrids started coming in. Snowball produces a compact, well-formed, ivory-white head of good quality and is a good source of fibre, iron, potassium and Vitamins C, B3, and B5. It is a great immune-system booster.
Seed count: Approximately 100 seeds
Best planting: February – May, August – September
Ease of growth: Very easy
Heirloom: Typically a variety that is older than 60 years.
- Height/width of the plant: 100+ cm
- Growth type: This plant has a bush or compact growth habit.
- Ideal germination temperature: 10°C
- Average germination in days: 7-10 days
- Sow method: The seed is best suited to starting off in seed trays and then transplanted once they are past the two true leaf stage.
- Plant type: Hardy, Annual
- Plant use: This is a well-known cooking variety, suited for both home and professional chefs.
- Plant/row spacing: 40 cm/50 cm
- Days to harvest: 80 days
- Seed treatment: No special treatment.