Brassica oleracea acephala
Super stunning red Kale that just oozes carotenoids, minerals, and handfuls of vitamins. If you are looking for juicing kale, this is the one for you.
Seed count: Approximately 100 seeds
Best planting: February – May, August – September
Ease of growth: Very easy
Heirloom: Typically a variety that is older than 60 years.
- Height/width of the plant: 60+ cm
- Growth type: This plant has a bush or compact growth habit.
- Ideal germination temperature: 10°C
- Average germination in days: 7-10 days
- Sow method: The seed is best suited to starting off in seed trays and then transplanted once they are past the two true leaf stage.
- Plant type: Hardy, Annual
- Plant use: This is a well-known cooking variety, suited for both home and professional chefs. Grown either mainly as a leaf crop or the young leaves can be used as salad greens.
- Plant/row spacing: 40 cm/50 cm
- Days to harvest: 65 days
- Seed treatment: No special treatment.