Rolet Gem Squash
One of the top 3 South African heirloom varieties. This humble little squash is a huge hit in Europe and especially Germany where they are so expensive that they are only offered in high-class restaurants. If you grow your own, be prepared to never want to subject yourself to the torture of tasteless, colourless, store-bought, hybrid Gems again.
Seed count: Approximately 10 seeds
Best planting: August – January
Ease of growth: Very easy
Heirloom: Typically a variety that is older than 60 years.
- Height/width of the plant: 150+ cm
- Growth type: This variety will sprawl and send out runners along the ground.
- Ideal germination temperature: 18°C
- Average germination in days: 7-10 days
- Sow method: This seed is best sown directly in the soil, as transplanting could reduce your yield.
- Plant type: Tender, Annual
- Plant use: This is a well-known cooking variety, suited for both home and professional chefs.
- Plant/row spacing: 100 cm
- Days to harvest: 95 days
- Seed treatment: These seeds will benefit from bottom heat, however, they will germinate without it. The additional heat stimulates germination, gives even germination and speeds up the process. No other special treatment required.