Rocket is a lovely addition to a garden salad, with its own unique spicy flavour. Quick-growing, tolerant of neglect, and if left, will reseed itself every year. Perfect for the lazy seed saver. Can be sown in all, but the two coldest, months of the year.
Seed count: Approximately 50 seeds
Best planting: August – May
Ease of growth: Medium
Heirloom: Typically a variety that is older than 60 years.
- Height/width of the plant: 15+ cm
- Growth type: This variety is suitable for planting in pots or in small gardens, as they do not take up a lot of space, and has a bush or compact growth habit.
- Ideal germination temperature: 15°C
- Average germination in days: 5 – 7 days
- Sow method: This seed is best sown directly in the soil as transplanting can reduce your yield.
- Plant type: Hardy
- Plant use: This herb is used for culinary purposes, grown either mainly as a leaf crop or the young leaves can be used as salad greens.
- Plant/row spacing: 10 cm/15 cm
- Days to harvest: 50 days
- Seed treatment: No special treatment.