Purple Sprouting Broccoli
Brassica oleracea italica
Wow, a beautiful highly-productive and much sought after broccoli variety. These are quick-growing and high-yielding, the florets are relatively small but allow for a greatly extended picking season. This variety requires a cold winter before it will start to produce heads in early spring.
Seed count: Approximately 100 seeds
Best planting: February – May
Ease of growth: Very easy
Heirloom: Typically a variety that is older than 60 years.
- Height/width of the plant: 100+ cm
- Growth type: This plant has a bush or compact growth habit.
- Ideal germination temperature: 10°C
- Average germination in days: 7-10 days
- Sow method: The seed is best suited to starting off in seed trays and then transplanted once they are past the two true leaf stage.
- Plant type: Hardy, Annual
- Plant use: This is a well-known cooking variety, suited for both home and professional chefs.
- Plant/row spacing: 40 cm/50 cm
- Days to harvest: 110 days
- Seed treatment: These varieties prefer cool soil to germinate. Often will not germinate if the soil temperature is too high. No other special treatment required.