A real stunner as far as carrots go, produces longer, evenly cylindrical roots that have a blunt end. Great flavour with a relatively small core.
Seed count: Approximately 250 seeds
Best planting: February – April, August – November
Ease of growth: Very easy
Heirloom: Typically a variety that is older than 60 years.
- Height/width of the plant: 30+ cm
- Ideal germination temperature: 10°C
- Average germination in days: 7-21 days
- Sow method: This seed is best sown directly in the soil, as transplanting could reduce your yield.
- Plant type: Hardy, Annual
- Plant use: Grown mainly for harvesting its root. This is a well-known cooking variety, suited for both home and professional chefs.
- Plant/row spacing: 5 cm/20 cm
- Days to harvest: 70 days
- Seed treatment: Fine seeds are best sown very shallowly, the problem now is that the top surface of the soil dries out very quickly. Covering with a hessian cloth, traps the moisture in the topsoil layer, allowing the seeds to germinate effectively.