Mary Washington Asparagus
Every year, asparagus will be the first spring harvest out of your garden. An asparagus planting is an investment, as much as it is a pleasure. Mary Washington is one of the old standard asparagus varieties and is a consistent performer year after year. It is a well-known variety that has a host of admirers and dedicated growers.
Seed count: Approximately 25 seeds
Best planting: August – December
Ease of growth: Medium
Heirloom: Typically a variety that is older than 60 years.
- Height/width of the plant: 150+ cm
- Growth type: This plant has a bush or compact growth habit.
- Ideal germination temperature: 15°C
- Average germination in days: 7-10 days
- Sow method: The seed is best suited to starting off in seed trays and then transplanted once they are past the two true leaf stage.
- Plant type: Hardy, Perennial
- Plant use: This is a well-known cooking variety, suited for both home and professional chefs.
- Plant/row spacing: 50 cm/90 cm
- Days to harvest: 3+ years
- Seed treatment: No special treatment.