Candied fruit and jam!
A firm favourite in many homes. The Maketaan is also known for the fine jam and candied melons pieces so popular in traditional South African homes. This is a long season melon that is not suited for fresh eating. The Maketaan is also known for the fine jam and candied melons pieces so popular in traditional South African homes. This is a long season melon that is not suited for fresh eating.
Seed count: Approximately 10 seeds
Best planting: August – December
Ease of growth: Medium
Heirloom: This is a traditional African variety. Typically collected in deep rural villages throughout Africa. These varieties have developed natural disease resistances.
- Height/width of the plant: 200+ cm
- This variety will sprawl and send out runners along the ground.
- Ideal germination temperature: 17°C
- Average germination in days: 7-10 days
- Sow method: The seed is best suited to starting off in seed trays and then transplanted once they are past the two true leaf stage.
- Plant type: Tender, Annual
- Plant use: This is a well-known cooking variety, suited for both home and professional chefs.
- Plant/row spacing: 150 cm
- Days to harvest: 110 days
- Seed treatment: These seeds will benefit from bottom heat, however, they will germinate without it. The additional heat stimulates germination, gives even germination and speeds up the process.