Ever wanted to get away from those flavouring and chemically infused stock cubes and powders? Lovage is well known for imparting a beautiful rich flavour to stews and soups. Once you have experienced the benefits of this astounding herb you will never go back to a standard stock cube.
Seed count: Approximately 100 seeds
Best planting: August – December
Ease of growth: Very easy
Heirloom: Typically a variety that is older than 60 years.
- Height/width of the plant: 150+ cm
- Growth type: This variety is suitable for planting in pots or in small gardens, as they do not take up a lot of space.
- Ideal germination temperature: 15°C
- Average germination in days: 15 days
- Sow method: The seed is best suited to starting off in seed trays and then transplanted once they are past the two true leaf stage.
- Plant type: Half-hardy, Perennial
- Plant use: This herb is used for culinary purposes, and is a well-known cooking variety, suited for both home and professional chefs.
- Plant/row spacing: 75 cm/90 cm
- Days to harvest: 110 days
- Seed treatment: Chill in the fridge for 2 weeks – A number of seeds need cold treatment prior to sowing. If not chilled, the seed’s internal ‘germination mechanism’ does not get turned on.