Long Purple Brinjal
Dark and slender!
A very dark, slender eggplant that has a fine texture and holds up very well in cooking. We find this variety has low bitterness. Requires a long growing season and is very frost-sensitive.
Seed count: Approximately 25 seeds
Best planting: August – December
Ease of growth: Can be challenging
Heirloom: Typically a variety that is older than 60 years.
- Height/width of the plant: 100+ cm
- Growth type: This plant has a bush or compact growth habit.
- Ideal germination temperature: 25°C
- Average germination in days: 10+ days
- Sow method: The seed is best suited to starting off in seed trays and then transplanted once they are past the two true leaf stage.
- Plant type: Tender, Annual
- Plant use: This is a well-known cooking variety, suited for both home and professional chefs.
- Plant/row spacing: 50 cm/90 cm
- Days to harvest: 75+ days
- Seed treatment: Hot and Extreme Chillies, as well as Brinjals, are real heat lovers, without bottom heat germination can be slow and erratic. Bottom heat is generally applied using a heating pad or an old electric blanket. The seedling trays should be lifted 1-2 cm above the heating pads so as not to overheat the seeds.