Jelly Melon Cucumber
One of South Africa’s unknown treasures, known as African Horned Cucumber or just a wild cucumber. The flavour changes as it ripens from sweet citrus (green) to a banana/kiwi fruit/citrus (ripe). Simply scoop out with a teaspoon, a simple and quick treat for all ages. Easy to grow.
Seed count: Approximately 10 seeds
Best planting: August – January
Ease of growth: Very easy
Heirloom: Typically a variety that is older than 60 years.
- Height/width of the plant: 200+ cm
- Growth type: This variety can be trained up either a lattice/fence/pole or string.
- Ideal germination temperature: 17°C
- Average germination in days: 7-10 days
- Sow method: The seed is best suited to starting off in seed trays and then transplanted once they are past the two true leaf stage.
- Plant type: Tender, Annual
- Plant use: This is a well-known cooking variety, suited for both home and professional chefs.
- Plant/row spacing: 50 cm
- Days to harvest: 80 days
- Seed treatment: These seeds will benefit from bottom heat, however, they will germinate without it. The additional heat stimulates germination, gives even germination and speeds up the process. No other special treatment is required.