Italian Parsley (Flat Leaf)
Traditional flat-leaf Italian parsley is one of the world’s most underrated herbs. It’s not just a garnish, packed with high densities of vitamins and minerals, it makes a great ‘pick-me-up’ if blended into a smoothie or fruit juice. We pick handfuls to add to soups, salads, and our juice machine. Pick regularly and remove flower heads to prolong production.
Seed count: Approximately 100 seeds
Best planting: August – February
Ease of growth: Very easy
Heirloom: Typically a variety that is older than 60 years.
- Height/width of the plant: 20+ cm
- Growth type: This variety is suitable for planting in pots or in small gardens, as they do not take up a lot of space.
- Ideal germination temperature: 16°C
- Average germination in days: 21 days
- Sow method: The seed is best suited to starting off in seed trays and then transplanted once they are past the two true leaf stage.
- Plant type: Half-hardy, Perennial
- Plant use: This herb is used for culinary and medicinal purposes. (Please consult your doctor/medical practitioner.)
- Plant/row spacing: 20 cm/30 cm
- Days to harvest: 50 days
- Seed treatment: Certain seeds like beetroot and swiss chards have a very corky seed coat. Soaking them overnight allows water to penetrate the coat and assists with germination.