Italian Large Leaved Basil
Basil truly is the ‘King of Herbs’, firmly entrenched in culinary tradition there is almost no dish that will not be complemented with the addition of a pinch or two of basil. Italian giant or Mamouth basil really gives you value for money with its huge flavoursome leaves that carry the classic basil flavour. Basil can also be used as the base to a great insect repelling spray for inside your home and on your plants.
Seed count: Approximately 100 seeds
Best planting: August – February
Ease of growth: Very easy
Heirloom: Typically a variety that is older than 60 years.
- Height/width of the plant: 60+ cm
- Growth type: This variety is suitable for planting in pots or in small gardens, as they do not take up a lot of space.
- Ideal germination temperature: 16°C
- Average germination in days: 5 days
- Sow method: The seed is best suited to starting off in seed trays and then transplanted once they are past the two true leaf stage.
- Plant type: Tender
- Plant use: This herb is used for culinary purposes, and deters insects in the home and/or garden.
- Plant/row spacing: 50 cm/90 cm
- Days to harvest: 50 days
- Seed treatment: No special treatment.