Honeydew Green Flesh Melon
A stunning Asian variety that produces abundant fruits that weigh in at around 2-3 kgs. Lovely, smooth-skinned fruits, with no netting or sutures. It has a thin skin and thick lime green flesh with a small seed cavity. High sugar content and lovely scent make this a winner in the veggie garden.
Seed count: Approximately 10 seeds
Best planting: August – January
Ease of growth: Medium
Heirloom: Typically a variety that is older than 60 years.
- Height/width of the plant: 150+ cm
- Growth type: This variety can be trained up either a lattice/fence/pole or string.
- Ideal germination temperature: 17°C
- Average germination in days: 7-10 days
- Sow method: The seed is best suited to starting off in seed trays and then transplanted once they are past the two true leaf stage, however, it can be sown directly in the soil from the start.
- Plant type: Tender, Annual
- Plant use: This is a well-known cooking variety, suited for both home and professional chefs.
- Plant/row spacing: 45 cm/90 cm
- Days to harvest: 85 days
- Seed treatment: These seeds will benefit from bottom heat. The additional heat stimulates germination, gives even germination and speeds up the process. No other special treatment required.