Green Sprouting Broccoli
Brassica oleracea italica
Green Sprouting broccoli does not produce a single large head like the hybrid broccoli’s. This one produces many small to medium heads that can be picked over an extended season. Leaves, buds and stalks are also tender and edible, a real winner in the garden. This variety requires a cold winter before it will start to produce heads.
Seed count: Approximately 100 seeds
Best planting: February – May
Ease of growth: Very easy
Heirloom: Typically a variety that is older than 60 years.
- Height/width of the plant: 100+ cm
- Growth type: This plant has a bush or compact growth habit.
- Ideal germination temperature: 10°C
- Average germination in days: 7-10 days
- Sow method: The seed is best suited to starting off in seed trays and then transplanted once they are past the two true leaf stage.
- Plant type: Hardy, Annual
- Plant use: This is a well-known cooking variety, suited for both home and professional chefs.
- Plant/row spacing: 40 cm/50 cm
- Days to harvest: 110 days
- Seed treatment: No special treatment, however, these varieties prefer cool soil to germinate. Often will not germinate if the soil temperature is too high.