Glass Gem Sweetcorn
Oh, are we excited about this new corn variety! We have been growing this out for a few years now and finally have enough to release onto the South African market. Glass Gem was released just a few short years ago and caused a sensation. It really is a living artwork. Its primary use is as popcorn, but can be ground down into an outstanding flour, the small green cobs can be used for cooking on the braai or as a stunning decoration.
Seed count: Approximately 80 seeds
Best planting: August – January
Ease of growth: Very easy
Open Pollinated: A variety (if kept pure) that will breed true from season to season.
- Height/width of the plant: 200+ cm
- Ideal germination temperature: 20°C
- Average germination in days: 7-10 days
- Sow method: This seed is best sown directly in the soil, as transplanting could reduce your yield.
- Plant type: Tender, Annual
- Plant use: This is a well-known cooking variety, suited for both home and professional chefs.
- Plant/row spacing: 25 cm/40 cm
- Days to harvest: 80 days
- Seed treatment: No special treatment.