Calming and relaxing!
Considered by many (along with Lavender) to be amongst the safest of herbs to use. Widely known for its calming and relaxation properties German Chamomile is used in lotions, teas and is extracted for essential oil production. Best planted in Autumn.
Seed count: Approximately 100 seeds
Best planting: August – February
Ease of growth: Medium
Heirloom: Typically a variety that is older than 60 years.
- Height/width of the plant: 20+ cm
- Growth type: This variety is suitable for planting in pots or in small gardens, as they do not take up a lot of space. Can take light shade.
- Ideal germination temperature: 13°C
- Average germination in days: 10 days
- Sow method: The seed is best suited to starting off in seed trays and then transplanted once they are past the two true leaf stage.
- Plant type: Half-hardy, Annual
- Plant use: This herb is used for culinary and medicinal purposes. (Please consult your doctor/medical practitioner.)
- Plant/row spacing: 15 cm/40 cm
- Days to harvest: 70 days
- Seed treatment: No special treatment.