It is a lovely alternative to normal chives. This is the fastest way to add some flavour to a bland dish or to spruce up a salad. The mild garlic flavour of Garlic chives is also great in a cream cheese slathered over a few crackers.
Seed count: Approximately 100 seeds
Best planting: February – April, August – October
Ease of growth: Very easy
Heirloom: Typically a variety that is older than 60 years.
- Height/width of the plant: 30+ cm
- Growth type: This plant has a bush or compact growth habit.
- Ideal germination temperature: 15°C
- Average germination in days: 7-10 days
- Sow method: This seed is best sown directly in the soil, as transplanting could reduce your yield.
- Plant type: Hardy, Perennial
- Plant use: This herb is used for culinary purposes. This is a well-known cooking variety, suited for both home and professional chefs.
- Plant/row spacing: 75 cm/90 cm
- Days to harvest: 70 days
- Seed treatment: No special treatment.