Crystal Apple Cucumber
Now here is a stunner! It produces lovely oval sweet and juicy cucumbers with a hint of lemon. Many people are surprised when they taste one of these little beauties, as they do not know what to expect of a white cucumber. Good producer of fist-sized fruit set on strong sturdy vines.
Seed count: Approximately 10 seeds
Best planting: August – January
Ease of growth: Medium
Heirloom: Typically a variety that is older than 60 years.
- Height/width of the plant: 200+ cm
- Growth type: This variety can be trained up either a lattice/fence/pole or string.
- Ideal germination temperature: 17°C
- Average germination in days: 7-10 days
- Sow method: The seed is best suited to starting off in seed trays and then transplanted once they are past the two true leaf stage.
- Plant type: Tender, Annual
- Plant use: This is a well-known cooking variety, suited for both home and professional chefs.
- Plant/row spacing: 50 cm
- Days to harvest: 90 days
- Seed treatment: These seeds will benefit from bottom heat, however, they will germinate without it. The additional heat stimulates germination, gives an even germination and speeds up the process. No other special treatment is required.