Chires Baby Sweetcorn
Quick and versatile!
A real miniature Open-pollinated corn, these plants can produce up to 20 ears on well-grown plants. Typically multi-stalked, do not remove the side shoots as these add to ear production. This is an exceptionally quick crop, and you can harvest from 5 days after silks appear for fresh cobs for use either in your salads or in potjies, stir-fries or simply just for snacking. Take note to see at what stage you prefer your cobs. They also make a perfectly acceptable popcorn, and leave some cobs to dry for popping.
Seed count: Approximately 80 seeds
Best planting: August – January
Ease of growth: Very easy
Heirloom: Typically a variety that is older than 60 years.
- Height/width of the plant: 150+ cm
- Ideal germination temperature: 20°C
- Average germination in days: 7-10 days
- Sow method: This seed is best sown directly in the soil, as transplanting could reduce your yield.
- Plant type: Tender, Annual
- Plant use: This is a well-known cooking variety, suited for both home and professional chefs.
- Plant/row spacing: 25 cm/40 cm
- Days to harvest: 80 days
- Seed treatment: No special treatment.