The Charentais (pronounced Sharon-tay) is one of the best melons one can buy. Heavenly-scented, a few of these in your kitchen is bound to get your guests’ mouths watering. A stunning producer with an amazingly thick flesh with brilliant orange colour. Super-sweet and high in vitamin C. It has been grown in the Charentais region of France since the 1920’s and as such holds its head up high in the heirloom world.
Seed count: Approximately 10 seeds
Best planting: August – January
Ease of growth: Very easy
Heirloom: Typically a variety that is older than 60 years.
- Height/width of the plant: 150+ cm
- Growth type: This variety can be trained up either a lattice/fence/pole or string.
- Ideal germination temperature: 16°C
- Average germination in days: 7-10 days
- Sow method: The seed is best suited to starting off in seed trays and then transplanted once they are past the two true leaf stage, however, it can be sown directly in the soil from the start.
- Plant type: Tender, Annual
- Plant use: This is a well-known cooking variety, suited for both home and professional chefs.
- Plant/row spacing: 45 cm/90 cm
- Days to harvest: 85 days
- Seed treatment: These seeds will benefit from bottom heat. The additional heat stimulates germination, gives even germination and speeds up the process. No other special treatment required.