An incredibly old European leek variety known from around the early 1880’s. This variety is well known for its medium to large-sized stems, that have a consistent quality with a mild flavour. Best planted in mid to late summer for a winter harvest. The flavour will improve after the first frost when growth slows down.
Seed count: Approximately 50 seeds
Best planting: January – April, August – October
Ease of growth: Very easy
Heirloom: Typically a variety that is older than 60 years.
- Height/width of the plant: 35+ cm
- Ideal germination temperature: 15°C
- Average germination in days: 7-10 days
- Sow method: This seed is best sown directly in the soil, as transplanting could reduce your yield.
- Plant type: Hardy, Annual
- Plant use: This is a well-known cooking variety, suited for both home and professional chefs.
- Plant/row spacing: 10 cm/20 cm
- Days to harvest: 110 days
- Seed treatment: No special treatment.