Blue Peter Beans
A very well-known and much-loved runner bean. The beans are a dark purple and when cooked turn a lovely deep green. A good producer of beans over the season, pick continuously to ensure on-going production. We love these beans raw in salads or on a vegetarian dip plate. Plant in spring and summer.
Seed count: Approximately 25 seeds
Best planting: September – February
Ease of growth: Very easy
Heirloom: Typically a variety that is older than 60 years.
- Height/width of the plant: 200+ cm
- Growth type: This variety can be trained up either a lattice/fence/pole or string.
- Ideal germination temperature: 15°C
- Average germination in days: 7-10 days
- Sow method: This seed is best sown directly in the soil as transplanting could reduce your yield.
- Plant type: Tender
- Plant use: Grown mainly as a green bean crop, and is a well-known cooking variety, suited for both home and professional chefs.
- Plant/row spacing: 40 cm/40 cm
- Days to harvest: 65 days
- Seed treatment: No special treatment.