Black Beauty Marrow
Italian Heirloom, summer squash, with beautiful black-green glossy fruits at maturity. A garden standard variety that is very early, prolific, vigorous and exceedingly popular. Its bush habit makes it ideal for smaller gardens. Pick often and your marrow bush will keep on producing.
Seed count: Approximately 10 seeds
Best planting: August – January
Ease of growth: Very easy
Heirloom: Typically a variety that is older than 60 years.
- Height/width of the plant: 60+ cm
- Growth type: This variety is suitable for planting in pots or in small gardens, as they do not take up a lot of space, and has a bush or compact growth habit.
- Ideal germination temperature: 18°C
- Average germination in days: 7-10 days
- Sow method: This seed is best sown directly in the soil, as transplanting could reduce your yield.
- Plant type: Tender, Annual
- Plant use: This is a well-known cooking variety, suited for both home and professional chefs.
- Plant/row spacing: 80 cm
- Days to harvest: 75 days
- Seed treatment: These seeds will benefit from bottom heat, however, they will germinate without it. The additional heat stimulates germination, gives even germination and speeds up the process. No other special treatment required.