Bill’s Breeder Tomato
A real surprise!
The surprise of the 2013/14 growing season. This tomato won the ‘Nicest Tasting Tomato in South Africa’. A real surprise, as yellow tomatoes are generally not as favoured. An Open Pollinated variety, developed by Bill Kerr as one of his breeding lines, and given to us.
Seed count: Approximately 25 seeds
Best planting: August – January
Ease of growth: Very easy
African Open Pollinated: Typically what is known in the industry as a “landrace” these are African varieties that have rich genetic diversity, are Open Pollinated but often do not have heirloom status.
- Height/width of the plant: 200+ cm
- Growth type: This variety will be best trained up a string or in a wire cage, however, it is also suitable for planting in pots or in small gardens, as they do not take up a lot of space. Will produce continuously.
- Ideal germination temperature: 17°C
- Average germination in days: 7-10 days
- Sow method: The seed is best suited to starting off in seed trays and then transplanted once they are past the two true leaf stage.
- Plant type: Tender/Annual
- Plant use: This is a well-known cooking variety, suited for both home and professional chefs.
- Plant/row spacing: 60 cm/90 cm
- Days to harvest: 90 days
- Seed treatment: These seeds will benefit from bottom heat, however, it will germinate without it. The additional heat stimulates germination, gives even germination and speeds up the process.
Out of stock