Beit Alpha Cucumber
A South African favourite!
Growing in popularity in the South African supermarkets, Beit Alpha is deliciously sweet and crunchy, ideal in salads, sarmies, or as pickles. There is no need to peel this cucumber as its skin is tender and isn’t bitter like other cucumber varieties. Beit Alpha is extremely easy to grow and is ideal for production in a greenhouse. It has a great long-lasting shelf life.
Seed count: Approximately 10 seeds
Best planting: August – January
Ease of growth: Medium
Heirloom: Typically a variety that is older than 60 years.
- Height/width of the plant: 200+ cm
- Growth type: This variety can be trained up either a lattice/fence/pole or string.
- Ideal germination temperature: 17°C
- Average germination in days: 7-10 days
- Sow method: The seed is best suited to starting off in seed trays and then transplanted once they are past the two true leaf stage.
- Plant type: Tender, Annual
- Plant use: This is a well-known cooking variety, suited for both home and professional chefs.
- Plant/row spacing: 50 cm
- Days to harvest: 75 days
- Seed treatment: These seeds will benefit from bottom heat, however, they will germinate without it. The additional heat stimulates germination, gives an even germination and speeds up the process. No other special treatment is required.